The Nutrition Rundown: In addition to offering fewer calories than standard mashed potatoes, this dish uses leeks, from the "allium" family, and cauliflower, from the "cruciferous" family of vegetables. The combination of nutrients in these vegetable families help reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer. Can't beat something this healthy and delicious!
Cauliflower Mash with Leeks
2 Tbs Olive oil
2 leeks, bulb and lower leaf, cleaned well, sliced into thin half moons
Salt and Pepper
1 head cauliflower, core and stem removed, chopped into florets
1 cup water
¼ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3 Tbs chopped chives, divided
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté ~2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and toss to combine. Season again with salt and pepper and cook, stirring gently, until cauliflower ends begin to brown (~3-4 minutes).
- Add water. Cover saucepan and let vegetables steam until soft, ~7 minutes. Stir halfway through.
- Remove pan from heat. Using immersion blender*, puree vegetables. Stir in 3 Tbs Parmesan cheese and 2 Tbs chopped chives. Season again with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm with remaining cheese and chives sprinkled over top.