The Nutrition Rundown: Oats and almonds replace refined flour, adding soluble fiber, healthy fat, and protein. Beets give the muffins betacyanins, pigments that have been shown to act as powerful cancer-fighting agents.
with Orange Crème Fraiche Topping
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients for muffins
1 cup almonds, toasted
½ cup rolled oats (labeled “gluten free”)
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger (or ½ tsp ground ginger)
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ lemon, zest and juice
Directions for muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using butter or oil, grease 12 muffin tin or prepare with parchment liners and set aside.
- Pulse beets in food processor until shredded. Remove beets and set aside in small bowl.
- In food processor, pulse almonds and oats until coarse meal. Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger and pulse to combine.
- Place dry mixture in medium mixing bowl. Whisk in brown sugar. Create a well in center of mixture and add eggs. Whisk eggs into dry mixture. Add beets and lemon and fold to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for ~15 minutes, until set in center. Remove from pan and cool on wire racks. Muffins without topping may be served warm or room temperature, and can be stored in enclosed container at room temperature.
Ingredients for Topping
1/3 cup crème fraiche
2 oz goat cheese
Zest of 1/2 orange (plus additional as desired)
1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
Directions for Topping
- Combine all ingredients with electric mixer (or whisk together thoroughly).
- Place topping in piping bag (or sealable plastic bag with corner cut). Pipe onto top of muffins.
- Garnish with additional orange zest if desired. Store in refrigerator. Allow to chill at least one hour before serving.