|The cookbook that inspired the loaf!|
3 cups bread flour, divided
2 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 package Active Dry Yeast (I used Fleischmann's, obviously)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup very warm tap water (120-130 degrees F)
4 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp cold water
- In bowl of electric mixer, sift together 1 1/4 cups bread flour, sugar, salt and undissolved active dry yeast. Add butter.
- Put mixer with bread hook on medium speed. Gradually add warm water and beat for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 3 eggs + 1 egg white (reserve yolk for later in recipe). Continue beating with bread hook, and slowly add remaining bread and whole wheat flour until a soft dough forms. Allow mixer to run about 4-5 more minutes.
- Turn out dough lightly floured surface. Knead about 1-2 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place dough in grease bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover with clean towel and let sit in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 6 even pieces. Roll each piece into long rope, about 15" thick.
- Place the 6 strands in a row. Pinch tops together (may require a touch of water to seal). Begin braiding:
- Move outside right strand over 2 strands
- Move 2nd strand from left to far right
- Move outside left strand over 2 strands
- Move 2nd strand from right to far left
- Repeat with outside right strand until all strands are braided.
- Pinch ends together, using a bit more water if needed to seal them.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes on baking sheet. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.