These biscuits take less than 30 minutes to make and are a great addition to dinner. I served them with White Chicken Chili; they'd also be great alongside a big salad, or with a veggie egg white omelette.
The Nutrition Rundown: At 200 calories each and made with real butter, these biscuits are a delicious, hearty starch, best served alongside a vegetable-rich, low-fat dish for nutritional balance.
Rosemary Berry Biscuits
Makes 10 Biscuits
Adapted from KitchenAid Baking Basics
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbs sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 cup skim milk
½ cup dried mixed berries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In bowl of electric standing mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and rosemary. With mixer on low, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in ¾ cup of the milk. Add remaining ¼ cup as needed to form sticky batter. Stir in dried berries.
- Move dough onto lightly floured surface. Pat into 1” thickness. Cut into circles using biscuit cutter (or the top of a glass).
- Place biscuits 1” apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, ~15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.