Serves 4 (8 burgers total)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
¼ cup oats
8.5 oz can black beans (no salt added)
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp chili powder
2 Tbs olive oil
Optional serving suggestions:
Whole wheat English muffins or hamburger rolls
- In food processor, pulse oats until finely ground. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Pulse beans in food processor with jalapeño and garlic until well mixed. Mix spices in bowl with oats. Add in along with egg and pulse until well mixed.
- Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes. (This is a great time to start making some sweet potato fries and/or corn to accompany)
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and form patties using about ½ cup mixture per patty.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in large skillet and cook patties until 1 side is browned, then flip. Once both sides are browned and mixture is warmed through, transfer patties to a plate. Repeat this step using remaining tablespoon of olive oil and rest of patties.
- Serve with optional toppings.