Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch ground clove
1 cup chopped pecans
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup dried cherries
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment and place in refrigerator.
- In standing mixer, beat the butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla, and beat until well mixed. Stir in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda in separate bowl. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter with the mixer on low speed. Once the flour has been incorporated, add the second half. Stir in the oats.
- Divide dough in half and place in separate bowls. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, pecans and chocolate chips to one half and mix well. To other half, add dark chocolate, cherries, and orange zest and mix well. Refrigerate all dough 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350degrees. Drop the dough, by the tablespoon, onto the cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and cool the cookies on a rack.